Pervushkin Vladimir Ivanovich, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, sub-department of Russian history, local history and history teaching technique, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. Revival of cultural traditions of provincial Russia is a necessary condition of the commenced social and economic lifting of the country today. Studying of the local history movement in Russia in the XIX century allows to reveal specifics of each region of the country that helps to use natural and human resources as much as possible. The experience of provincial statistical committees and scientific archival commissions will be useful both to public institutions, and to public organizations. The work purpose is to reveal preconditions of formation of histo¬rical knowledge in Russian provinces in 1830s–1890s.
Materials and methods. Realization of the research tasks was achieved through the use of the documents taken from funds of the State archive of the Penza region, and also the analysis of historiographic sources on the subject matter. The methodological potential included the basic principles of scientific knowledge – historicism and objectivity, hermeneutics as a method of interpretation of the text, the historical and situational method that assesses an event or a phenomenon, proceeding from a real concrete historical situation, and, to a certain extent, abstracts the researcher from the influence of scientific stereotypes and methodological stamps.
Results. The author studied the problem of formation of the provincial intellectuals – a social base of the amateur historians, consolidating about the provincial statistical committees and the provincial scientific archival commissions, who established the local history movement in Russia in the XIX century. The specifics of this movement in the Penza province was revealed. The efficiency of application of the historical and situational method for solving the research tasks was proved. The features of creation of regional local history researches were considered.
Conclusions. During the analysis of the problem under consideration the author revealed insufficiency of the level of study and knowledge of Russian provinces in the XIX century. The author defined the priority research directions of the scientific problem, such as the influence of university historians on formation of local history knowledge in the Russian provinces; the role of the provincial statistical committees and the scientific archival commissions in formation of the local history movement in Russia; the contribution of certain amateur regional specialists into formation of historical knowledge in the Russian provinces.
Russian province, historical knowledge, local history movement, provincial statistical committees, provincial scientific archival commissions.
1. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii (PSZ). Sobranie pervoe [Complete collection of legislation of the Russian Empire. The first collection]. Saint-Petersburg, 1835, vol. XII, no. 10303, § 31; no. 10304, § 86–96.
2. Veselovskiy B. B. Istoriya zemstva [History of the zemstvo]. Saint-Petersburg: Nasha zhizn', 1911, vol. 3.
3. Bestuzhev-Ryumin K. N. Moskovskoe obozrenie [Moscow review]. Moscow, 1859, bk. 1.
4. Frank S. L. Vekhi: sbornik statey o russkoy intelligentsii [Landmarks: collected articles on the Russian intelligentsia]. Moscow, 1909.
5. GAPO. F. 9. Op. 1. D. 428. L. 1 ob., 2, 2 ob.
6. Goshulyak L. D. Ocherki istorii narodnogo obrazovaniya Penzenskogo kraya [Essays of the history of public education in the Penza region]. Penza, 1997.
7. Klyuchevskiy V. O. Sochineniya: v 9 t. [Works: in 9 volumes]. Moscow: Mysl', 1990, vol. 9.
8. Eymontova R. G. Problemy istorii russkogo obshchestvennogo dvizheniya i istoricheskoy nauki [Problems of history of the Russian public movement and historical science]. Moscow, 1981.
9. Pypin A. N. Istoriya russkoy etnografii [The Russian ethnographic history]. Saint-Petersburg: Tip. I. D. Sytina, 1891, vol. 2.
10. Leykina-Svirskaya V. R. Russkaya intelligentsiya v 1890–1917 godakh [The Russian intelligentsia in 1890–1917]. Moscow: Mysl', 1981, 285 p.
11. GAPO. F. 5. Op. 1. D. 1597, 4918, 5058, 6209, 6758.
12. Popov V. P. Stoletie tipografii Penzenskogo gubernskogo pravleniya (1804–1904) [100th anniversary of the Penza Governor’s printing house]. Penza: Tip. gubernskogo pravleniya, 1904, 83 p.
13. Kizevetter A. A. Na rubezhe dvukh stoletiy (vospominaniya 1881–1914) [At the turn of two centuries (memories of 1881–1914)]. Praga, 1919, 270 p.
14. Shchapov A. P. Sochineniya [Works]. Saint-Petersburg, 1906, vol. 1.
15. Shchapov A. P. Sobranie sochineniy. Dopolnitel'nyy tom [Collected works. Additional volume]. Irkutsk, 1937.